Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Recent Topics

Excellent black leather seats for sale by rj.stead
[March 14, 2020, 01:43:51 PM]

Aero seal that will outlast the car?... look here... by Karlos(G8KLJ)
[February 26, 2020, 11:51:18 PM]

Swiss cab meet 2018 by HARTY
[February 12, 2020, 09:38:22 PM]

Last years Swiss meeting. by HARTY
[February 11, 2020, 08:04:52 PM]

French 306 Cab owners meeting. by HARTY
[January 31, 2020, 04:31:31 PM]

Merry Christmas by shoemaker
[December 25, 2019, 10:15:34 AM]

Our new Cabriolet by DaddyO
[November 16, 2019, 04:54:14 PM]

The Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show by almostthere
[November 08, 2019, 07:14:11 PM]

General Roof Woes (lots) by almostthere
[November 08, 2019, 07:08:55 PM]

Window regulator by Pugsley
[October 17, 2019, 09:17:33 AM]

Calendar

March 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
[29] 30 31

Top Poster

dunks dunks
14202 Posts
Pugsley Pugsley
12196 Posts
Cabrioman
5787 Posts
Keith Hall Keith Hall
4882 Posts
shep
4723 Posts

Forum Staff

admin admin
Administrator
dunks admin dunks
Administrator
admin blondecab
Committee
Pugsley gmod Pugsley
Subscriber
Mr Bob gmod Mr Bob
Committee

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aero seal that will outlast the car?... look here...  (Read 564 times)

Offline biffa

• Obsessive cleaning freak!
  • Rating 6
  • Joined 10/06/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Car: 1.8s tie break green with firefly. "the original" cab
Aero seal that will outlast the car?... look here...
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:45:59 AM »
Hi all...

During mine and my brothers ownership of a few cabs... we really have played with the idea of making the aero seal (the expensive one!!!) Ourselves from a cast molding and making it from air pocketed silicone so it won't rot but will allow compression of glass and roof etc.
We also have thought further of adding extras i.E personalised wording into the seal along the front quarter windows and adding the lion logo on the two top chunky corners.

This is clearly something that is going to take time and effort to make perfect from measurements and careful castings and impressions however... a seal that will not fade.. perish or discolour and will never need replacing how does this sound?.. and it gets better..you could also have it made to your exact colour choice!

It won't be made to measure but... the moldings made prior to the casting stage will be phase 3 first as these suffer worse. And so will fit other phase 3's.

It will involve some long term testing first to ensure a good tight seal. The added bonus is... with it being the silicone we are looking at it will also help remove some of the squeek when driving from this area due to the natural oils in the silicone we will be using.

So... just out of interest if all goes to plan who would like one?... to do this correctly and for the best by your car we will be using the best possible silicone that will fit the purpose and will start around £250 including fitting ( yes we will fit it for you!).  We have priced up the initial outlay to create the molding and then the castings. The silicone and time taken to create a seal for your car is the cost. I am paying initial outlay for molding and casting as I want one for myself regardless. *actual cost to me from start to finish is around £380

I myself have given this some serious thought and all going well.. will have one myself!

Who would be interested. Just remember it will be to the exact dimensions as an original phase 3 seal in every way but... will not rot, perish fade or split. Will outlast the car! Fit one and forget!

Rob

Offline shep

• Rating 160
  • Joined 16/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Aero seal that will outlast the car?... look here...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:58:46 PM »
Hi Rob. I'd just try and get one made reliably rather than faff around with the personal stuff.
Good luck with the project.

Offline Karlos(G8KLJ)

• Subscriber
  • Rating 1
  • 2001 Peugeot 1.8 SE 306 cabriolet + Hardtop
  • Joined 24/01/2011
  • Car: 2001 Peugeot 1.8 SE 306 cabriolet + Hardtop
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 10:08:04 PM »
hello
was just checking historic messages & camr acroos your idea did you ever succed in your endevour in creating the seal

Offline Karlos(G8KLJ)

• Subscriber
  • Rating 1
  • Joined 24/01/2011
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »
did anyone ever hear anymore on the idea of creating new seals 8120.A3
regards

Hi all...

During mine and my brothers ownership of a few cabs... we really have played with the idea of making the aero seal (the expensive one!!!) Ourselves from a cast molding and making it from air pocketed silicone so it won't rot but will allow compression of glass and roof etc.
We also have thought further of adding extras i.E personalised wording into the seal along the front quarter windows and adding the lion logo on the two top chunky corners.

This is clearly something that is going to take time and effort to make perfect from measurements and careful castings and impressions however... a seal that will not fade.. perish or discolour and will never need replacing how does this sound?.. and it gets better..you could also have it made to your exact colour choice!

It won't be made to measure but... the moldings made prior to the casting stage will be phase 3 first as these suffer worse. And so will fit other phase 3's.

It will involve some long term testing first to ensure a good tight seal. The added bonus is... with it being the silicone we are looking at it will also help remove some of the squeek when driving from this area due to the natural oils in the silicone we will be using.

So... just out of interest if all goes to plan who would like one?... to do this correctly and for the best by your car we will be using the best possible silicone that will fit the purpose and will start around £250 including fitting ( yes we will fit it for you!).  We have priced up the initial outlay to create the molding and then the castings. The silicone and time taken to create a seal for your car is the cost. I am paying initial outlay for molding and casting as I want one for myself regardless. *actual cost to me from start to finish is around £380

I myself have given this some serious thought and all going well.. will have one myself!

Who would be interested. Just remember it will be to the exact dimensions as an original phase 3 seal in every way but... will not rot, perish fade or split. Will outlast the car! Fit one and forget!

Rob

Offline Karlos(G8KLJ)

• Subscriber
  • Rating 1
  • Joined 24/01/2011
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 11:51:18 PM »
Hi all
Hoping someone can help I am looking for Roof sealing / window frame seal 306 Cabriolet Aero seal Pt No 8120.A3 
I was just checking historic messages & came across this idea (See Quote) did this  ever succeed in the endeavour in creating the seal or does anybody know of anyone recreating new ones
I did however also find this online -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Afy3jCnd4&app=desktop -   but nothing else
I do have a very good seal avail to create a Master mould from so new Seals could be produced I would be happy to create a Financial  partnership   if some knows how or whom could create remanufactured items.
So can be made available to fellow Cabriolet owners worldwide so  owners can replace deteriorated  seals and will at least  can keep their cars on road longer  and not have to scrap cars due to this fault and lack of replacements-

Hi all...

Rob